Monday Morning Mustang Memo
Week 36: May 18-24, 2020 / COVID Online Learning Week 9
May 20th: Cain Band Auditions Due in Google Classroom (7th grade only)
May 20th: CMS Band Digital Awards Ceremony (invitees have been emailed directly)
May 21st: School-Owned Instrument Return (parents have been emailed directly)
May 22nd: 2020-2021 Cain Band Placements Announced
May 27th: Zoom Meeting with 2020-2021 Ensembles
2020-2021 Band Audition Information
Cain Band Auditions are due in Google Classroom by Wednesday of this week!
Audition information for the 2020-2021 school year is posted in all Google Classrooms.
- The audition for current 6th graders is optional, but required for any student who wishes to be considered for Symphonic or Honors bands next year.
- All of the details are posted in Google Classroom and can be found on the cover sheet for each instrument audition packet
- All auditions are due in Google Classroom by the end of the day on Wednesday, May 20th
- The final help session with Mr. Ousey or Mr. Prior is Tuesday, 5/19 from 1-2 PM; details are in Google Classroom
No matter what, all students who have signed up for band next year will be placed into a band class! Auditions will not deter a student from being in band! Furthermore, the audition is only one of the many factors we take into consideration for band placements.
Band Online Learning Reminders
- Use Google Classroom to access weekly assignments and announcements.
- If your child needs one-on-one help, encourage them to check out Mr. Ousey's & Mr. Prior's online office hours every Tuesday and Thursday from 1-2 PM; details are in Google Classroom
- Your recordings do not have to be perfect! We just want to hear you play!
- Please read and use the comments we post on your individual assignments. We will give you feedback to help you best develop as musicians!
- Please let Mr. Ousey or Mr. Prior know if you or your child need anything at all! We are here for our band family!
- If your child is having technical difficulty of any kind, please let us know BEFORE contacting the Rockwall ISD Technology department!
- PERCUSSION: Check for assignments sent separately by Mr. Kosterman each week.
Mr. Ousey and Mr. Prior are available one last time on Tuesday, 5/19 from 1-2 PM for questions or help via Zoom. Students should check Google Classroom for the Zoom meeting link.
School-Owned Instrument Return and Summer Checkout
This announcement applies to students who play bassoon, French Horn, Euphonium, Tuba, or who are using an instrument provided/owned by Cain Middle School.
An email went out Monday, 5/18 to parents of students who play a Cain school-owned instrument. Please take a moment to read that email carefully! Let us know if you have questions.
Does your Instrument need repair?
If your instrument is in need of a repair, Brook Mays is now open for curbside service and can take care of your repair and supply needs!
Please contact Brook Mays directly for more information at: (972) 233-9633
Their address: 5756 Lyndon B Johnson Fwy, Dallas, TX 75240
2020-2021 Band Placements
Band placements for the 2020-2021 school year will be announced this Friday, May 22nd around 5:00 PM.
Band placements are based on a multiple of factors, including end of year auditions, attendance at Checkpoint Camps and concerts, Google Classroom participation during COVID-19, class participation, private lesson participation, behavior considerations, eligibility considerations, and other factors. No matter what, we want to make sure your child is set up for success next year, so we take band placements very seriously!
Placements may change over the summer if students move. If your child's placement changes, we will notify you directly.
Actual class scheduling will happen in August. If your child's band class conflicts with another class or special situation, we will contact you as soon as we know to work out a solution. This generally is few and far between!
Click the button above for our special newsletter on how to safely clean musical instruments.
Click the button above for our official list of supplies for each instrument with Amazon links. Contact your child's band director if you have any questions.
Who to Contact
Woodwind Students for Pullen, Rochell, and Springer Elementary Schools
- Mr. Ousey - firstname.lastname@example.org
Brass Students for Pullen, Rochell, Linda Lyon, and Springer Elementary Schools
- Mr. Prior - email@example.com
Woodwinds Students for Linda Lyon Elementary School
All Students for Amy-Parks Elementary School
- Ms. Keliher - firstname.lastname@example.org
If you need to reach your child's private lesson teacher, please visit http://cainmustangband.org/lessons to locate their email or phone number.
This memo is for all 7th and 8th grade band parents and suporters!