Beginning Band Updates
Throughout the summer, we will send occasional updates and reminders so that your child is ready to start band in August.
Please take a moment to read through everything! If you have any questions, please reach out to Trevor Ousey at email@example.com
Ordering Instrument and Supplies
For flute, oboe, clarinet, saxophone, trumpet, and trombone, you will need to purchase/rent an instrument as well as supplies.
For bassoon, French Horn, euphonium, and tuba, you will only need to purchase supplies. We will provide the instrument during the first weeks of school.
Percussion students should follow the instructions sent directly to you by our percussion director, Mr. Rod Kosterman.
The EASIEST method to secure your child's instrument (for everyone except percussion) is to use Brook Mays Music company. To get started, you can either:
- Go online to www.cain.band/brookmays and take care of everything online
- Contact James Skyeagle Smith (our dedicated Brook Mays representative) at (903) 918-2896 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Visit the store in person at 5756 LBJ Freeway, Dallas, TX 75240
If renting online, here are a couple of reminders:
- If prompted to type in the school name, please use ‘Cain Middle School’ and not your child’s elementary campus
- Make sure to check an option for your child’s instrument, but leave all other supplies checked; if you uncheck a supply, it may result in your child having to wait to start playing their instrument
- When given the option online, please make sure to select ‘Deliver to school’ unless you plan on enrolling your child in private lessons (see below)
In early July, we will send out a survey asking if you have taken care of your child's instrument and supplies.
Waiting too long may result in not receiving an instrument or the recommended supplies in time for the first day of band. This will result in your child getting behind very quickly!
Band families who rent through Brook Mays are guaranteed a working, high-quality instrument and all of the necessary supplies for the band. Also, Brook Mays will deliver all instruments and supplies directly to our program in August, just in time for our first day of playing the instrument.
If you decide to obtain an instrument or supplies through another source, please contact a band director first! While there are many other vendors online, including websites like Amazon, eBay, and Facebook Marketplace, we strongly encourage you to use Brook Mays. Frequently, websites that offer cheap, off-brand instruments tend to cost more in the long run due to excessive maintenance repairs. Furthermore, not having the proper equipment may set up your child to struggle and ultimately might lead to their frustration no matter how hard they work!
This link will take you to information about how to purchase/rent your percussion supplies.
Why is it important to get a quality-made instrument? Check out this video:
We are very fortunate to have a fantastic team of professional, highly trained musicians who teach our students from 6th through 12 grades through our private lesson program. Private lessons are 25-30 minute, one-on-one sessions between your child and the teacher. Lessons are $19 per lesson.
Starting June 1st, all lessons will return to live and in person!
If you sign up for lessons and need your instrument and supplies BEFORE August:
- Contact Brook Mays and request an early pick up and/or delivery
- If your child plays bassoon, French Horn, euphonium, or tuba, also email Mr. Ousey at email@example.com to arrange to pick up an instrument
If you have already signed up for lessons, we are in the process of matching students with teachers! Be on the lookout for a follow-up email soon from Mr. Ousey with your child's teacher CC'ed on the email.
Trumpet Students: Our trumpet teacher is leaving the area and we are in the process of hiring a new, amazing trumpet teacher. Due to this, your lessons may be delayed until the process is complete. We appreciate your patience and understanding!
If you have already submitted a lesson request, you do NOT need to submit a new form!